The Chicago Gallery of Haitian Art
click on image to enlarge
Fernand Pierre was born in Carrefour, Port-au-Prince and began his artistic life as a wood carver. He joined le Centre d’Art in 1947, where he primarily worked in ceramics before finally training as a painter.
Pierre documented the nineteenth century gingerbread houses through repeated detailed paintings and then began to paint lush, deeply colored fruit-laden trees. He is one of the five artists who painted the world-renowned murals, depicting The Visitation, of the Episcopal Cathedral of Sainte Trinité in Port-au-Prince in 1951.
His work is included in the permanent collections of the Musée d’Art Haitien du Collège Saint Pierre in Port-au-Prince, the Davenport Museum of Art, Iowa, the Milwaukee Museum of Art, the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, Connecticut, and the Waterloo Museum of Art in Iowa.
bio courtesy of the Museum of Everything