click on image to enlarge
Micius Stephane was born in 1912 in Bainet where he lived and worked as a cobbler, and then as a painter. He joined the Centre d'Art in 1948 at the encouragement of Dewitt Peters, subsequently moving to Port-au-Prince in 1956. He is credited with having brought Edger Jean-Baptiste to the Centre d'Art. Stephane died in 1996.
His work is included in the permanent collection of the Musee d'Art Haitien du College Saint Pierre in Port-au-Prince, the Milwaukee Museum of Art, and the Detroit Institute of Art.
Danticat, Edwige, and Jonathan Demme. Island on Fire. New York: Kaliko Press, 1995